Monday, November 2, 2009

I Love Bicycles


It's a love affair that became intensely integrated into my way of life when I moved to San Francisco and deeply immersed myself into the community and politics of bicycling in the city.

During the past few years I've come to realize the essential function the bicycle has played in my life.

While growing up in bicycle-friendly college town of Chico, California, my first jobs in late elementary school and early junior high school were my bike newspaper routes.

I grew up learning to appreciate the outdoors thanks to many days exploring the beautiful trails and paved roads of Bidwell Park. And I regularly biked to public schools and continued to bike through college and graduate school.

I didn't own a car until 1999, which I barely drive now except for out of town travel. The bicycle is my primary mode of everyday transportation now.

Since moving to San Francisco, I've transitioned from casual, recreational bicyclist to full-fledged bicycle advocate - an advocate encouraging my friends to rediscover bicycling for transportation and/or recreation, an advocate to make bicycling an integral part of San Francisco's transportation network and livable city movement, and an advocate for using the bicycle as a way to build community.

To learn more about me and what motivates my passion for bicycing, read this profile written by my friend Michael, who runs the informative neighborhood BIKE NOPA blog about my amazing neighborhood in San Francisco.

1 comment:

  1. Right On! Lived in Sac & worked in Chico & learned to love commuting from Sac to Davis on the trail next to I-80. No better way t get around! Keep doin' what ur doin' :-)

    ReplyDelete